
It has been a little over two weeks now since Casey's funeral and I haven't brought myself to write anything down yet. I think the whole thing has been so surreal and now it is finally becoming a reality instead of something out of a sad movie.
Many of you knew Casey and what a wonderful person she was but I want to dedicate this post to all of the things that I loved so much about her.
If I could describe Casey in one word it would be generous. She honestly was the most giving person that I know. It was to my great benefit that we had such similar taste. I remember time after time I would come home for a visit either from Teen Mania or from RHEMA and Casey would have a new pair of shoes or a box of new stationary that was just my style and before the trip was over she would lay them in my suit case. She would never make a big deal about it but she would always give me what she knew I had my eye on.
Not only did she give materially but she gave of herself. One of my fondest memories as a child was going into her bedroom early every Saturday morning to wake her up and ask her if she wanted to come and watch cartoons with me. And any of you who know Casey well know that she loved her sleep - her love of sleep did not set in as an adult - she always loved to sleep. But she knew I hated to watch cartoons by myself so she would wrap up in her blanket and come and sit in the living room with me. Even as an adult she was always willing to run to Walmart with me even if it was midnight and we were just going to buy coloring books and crayons.
Casey loved Christmas. I mean loved. Of course, her love language was gifts. Sure she loved to receive gifts but even more she loved giving them. Every year the sisters would exchange names and whoever's name Casey would draw was in for a treat. There was always a dollar limit set but Casey totally disregarded it every year. She started shopping months in advance. In fact, recently when we went through some of her things I found several Christmas presents she had already purchased for me weeks before Halloween.
Casey loved the idea of traveling, new cities, new things, but she hated the idea of leaving home.
She was so easy to please. She would get excited about silly things. But she didn't jump around and holler when she was excited it was a certain look in her eye and a certain smile on her face that gave her away. ( and the ocassionaly rocking and clapping of her hands.) Yes, she was a rocker. Not as in heavy metal rocker but as in "this is my comfort zone and I am going to rock myself back and forth for a few minutes."
She loved music and would sing at the top of her lungs to just about any Celine Dion song that would come on the radio.
She wasn't much of phone talker but was warming up to it lately. Since she was married I had more phone converstaions with her than I think we have had in our entire lifetime. You could tell when she was in a good mood - she would call you for no reason. The day she went into the hospital I talked to her about six times that morning. We had gone shopping together via telephone. Conversations that will be well remembered.
Thank you for reading as far as you have. Most of this was for my own processing. But if you were able to get even a small glimpse into my memory bank of Casey than I believe it was well worth it.
6 comments:
That was beautiful. She was such a beautiful person and you made me feel like I knew her all along.
Crosby it is good to see you processing all of this. I can't imagine your pain. I know God will get you all through this time of grief. He is our comfort, our ever present help in time of need. You are blessed to have such a wonderful family. Don't forget you are pretty great yourself : )
I love ya, Mer
Cros,
You always amaze me how you can put words on paper. You captured the most beautiful things about Casey.
I know it had to be hard to write but I know it was a good thing.
I want to say thank you for allowing me to be a small part of what you guys went through. It honestly will be a month I will never forget. Not only because of Casey but because I had the
privlage of praying with you and standing with you.
What Pastor Tim said spoke volumes to me, "Your faith pleases God." I admire your strength. I am honored to be your friend.
I love you so much.
Shannon
Crosby, I love you so much!!
Beautifully put, you are amazing. I love you!
Jen
I love you Crosby... Not a day goes by without a thought of beautiful Casey. We love her so much and are thankful that she is not a part of our past, but of our future. We are always praying for you and the family.
Post a Comment