Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sweet Aubrey

We were very fortunate to be able to take a trip to Florida right after Christmas. Our main motivation for going was because Aubrey was going to be there with her Grandpa Tom from PA.
Of course, we were so glad to see friends and family but we really enjoyed being able to spend time with her. Here are a few memories that I wanted to share from the trip to give you a small glimpse of who Aubrey is.

I only took a few pictures but here is one of Aubrey taking care of Mollie after she got sick one day. She was holding her hand, rubbing her head and telling her it was going to be okay.



We were all getting ready to go out one day and I was doing the girls hair. I was in a hurry, trying to finish their hair and outfits as well as mine. As I pulled Aubrey into the bathroom and was curling the ends of hair without any conversation she finally said - "You're a good mommy." I said "thank-you" and asked what made her think that. She said, "You take good care of everybody and I can tell you love me." It was so sweet and so sincere.

The last day we were in town - we all went to see Pastor Dennis and Heather's new home. We got the grand tour and the girls played outside with the dog for a while. Pastor Dennis went out at one point and was pushing all the kids on the swings. A few minutes had passed and Pastor Dennis announced that he needed to find the "little dog" that hadn't been seen for a while. As he was walking away and without invitation Aubrey ran right up beside and just grabbed his hand and walked with him.

As we were getting ready to leave I called the girls over to say goodbye and thank Pastor Dennis for letting them play. Aubrey was standing right in front of him and did as I asked and but then she stood there just looking up at him. I asked her if she wanted to give him a hug goodbye and before I finished asking the question she had wrapped herself around his leg and was squeezing with all of her might. It took him a little by surprise and as he was reaching down to hug her back she said "I love you." It was so pure and unrehearsed it made all of us tear-up.

No, she is not perfect. But she has such a gentle and loving personality you can't help but to be drawn to her whenever she is around.

1 comment:

Marlita said...

That is so sweet! I teared up just reading about her!